woensdag 14 juli 2010

Me and my bicycle

I love riding my bicycle here in Boston.
Although it can get dangerous sometimes and I really don't like the helmet I'm suppose to wear,
but still I love it!
I admit that in winter time I might fall out of love with the two wheel friend because of slippery roads
but now in summer: it's great.
I love the easy pedal in the morning with the sunshine on my face and arms, the wind giving a little refreshment,
and especially the view when I cross the Charlestown Bridge. On my right in the mornings I can see the ocean in the distance.
On the left there is a nice view on the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge. Named after the monument in Charlestown because its pillars resemble the Bunker Hill monument.

Yesterday morning, an MGH shuttle bus driver made my day start even better:
On the second light on my way to work, a very busy junction, I was waiting at the red light for it to become green. When looking around me while waiting I noticed the doors of the shuttle in the lane next to mine opened. Surprised by this, since I did not see any pedestrian going in I looked at the driver: " I can't remember the last time I saw a bicycle stop for a red light". I smiled (since most of the time I also ignore red lights unless at a busy junction in morning rush hour like at this moment) and replyed "yes sometimes you see it". He again responded "It's the only way it works, you know. Have a nice day, lady,". At that moment the pedestrian's light turned green and usually I consider myself pedestrian with my bicycle when I can benefit of it. This time though I decided not to disappoint the driver and waited. When the light turned green the driver let me go first and I thanked him with a smile that lasted for a while: you gotta love these open-hearted people :-).

1 opmerking: